About two months ago, I had a conversation with someone about whether The Don beats Melania. It’s undoubted that he abuses her psychologically and financially. Sexual exploitation, manipulation, isolation, he probably uses all of those tools and a few more.
My conversation partner expressed very similar insights as Matt Bai. They also offered that Melania has much more power than we suspect because she is the one holding the golden nuts in the tightly clenched palm of her hand. And she has in all likelihood told Mr. Wonderfully Almighty that he’d better not make her angry or she’ll tell the world what he really is.
My conversation partner speculated that Melania, unlike her predecessors, holds a lot of financial power over the Golden Haired Marvel as well as some other tools that can be used at the moment she decides (not someone else) that enough is enough. [Consider how many photo ops have caught her brushing his anxious, PR-sucking grasp in an effort to give the appearance of domestic bliss.]
To those who have endured domestic abuse and violence, take a lesson from FLOTUS. Figure out where you hold the power and then hold it as a guillotine over your abuser’s head. This advice also applies to those who are enduring abuse at work, school, or even some type of eleemosynary organization.
Say “NO” in as many ways as it can be communicated but with tact, grace, intelligence, and confidence – those things your abuser lacks.
- Take your own advice, Mrs. Trump. Be best., Matt Bai, Yahoo News (May 10, 2018)
- Evaluating Character, (July 15, 2017)
- Melania Trump outlines eyebrow-raising platform that includes tackling cyber bullying, Emily C. Singer, Mic.com (May 7, 2018)
- Melania Trump Just Released a Pamphlet to Combat Cyber Bullying—The Content Is Copied Verbatim from Obama’s, AlterNet (May 7, 2018)
- Melania Trump’s “Be Best” Anti-Cyber Bully Campaign Begins by White House Attacking Daughter in Law Vanessa Trump Online, Roger Friedman, ShowBiz411 (May 8, 2018)
- See Melania Trump’s Latest Awkward Hand-Holding Moment, People (about 2 weeks ago)
- Melania and Donald Trump’s Most Awkward Moments
- Handling the Abuser (June 28, 2010)
Also of Interest: